Up the Dev Env
The goals of this week were to set up the development environment -- in which all the header (.h) files, the shared libraries, and the compiler tools are in place -- to the point I can chroot to that environment and compile my GTK+ programs. Also to decide what software I really want to develop.
So tried to set up chroot environment. Didn't work because gcc seems to have hard-coded header file and library search path, and chroot changes the path structure completely. I could pass arguments on the command line to add search paths during compile time, but that would be really messy. Not a way to go at all.
So after failure of chroot, I decided to install all necessary header and libraries in gcc's search path. That didn't really work either, because of library dependencies, there are over 50 packages I have to install manually. I spent about 2 days installing packages and modifying pkg-config .pc files and I'm still missing libraries. It wasn't fun and very frustrating to say the least.
So tried to set up chroot environment. Didn't work because gcc seems to have hard-coded header file and library search path, and chroot changes the path structure completely. I could pass arguments on the command line to add search paths during compile time, but that would be really messy. Not a way to go at all.
So after failure of chroot, I decided to install all necessary header and libraries in gcc's search path. That didn't really work either, because of library dependencies, there are over 50 packages I have to install manually. I spent about 2 days installing packages and modifying pkg-config .pc files and I'm still missing libraries. It wasn't fun and very frustrating to say the least.
Labels: research

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home