Monday, May 28, 2007

OpenMoko


So for this summer I will be doing research on the OpenMoko Project under the supervision of Dr. Chapman. The REU group had to pick the project we want to work on by the end of Friday and I was deliberating between the OpenMoko project and SpySwatter lead by Dr. Umphress. Both projects are truly interesting, but I believe OpenMoko has more growth potential, so I chose OpenMoko as my first choice and therefore my research topic.

In short, OpenMoko is a novel idea of developing a non-proprietary platform for cell phones. The idea is that the architecture of OpenMoko phones is completely open. Anyone interested can develop software for the architecture including contribute code to the operating system. The advantages of this are security and the growth of the number of applications on the architecture.

Reserach Plan for the week Talked to Dr. Chapman here is the revised list of week's objectives:
  • Since I don't know much of what I'll be working on, I'll have to talk to Dr. Chapman and get an idea what I'll be working on. Done. 5/29/2007.
  • Reformat and install Linux on my computer. Done. 5/31/2007.
  • Get OpenMoko emulators running. Done 6/4/2007.
  • Set up the development environment and get a working Hello-World program.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home