Week 4
The research continues into the 4th week and there are still lots to do. Most of what I am doing right now is reading various documentations and figuring out the big picture of the open-source phone project.
In the past week I been busy figuring out cross compiling programs, on my computer, to run on the target machine (Neo1973). To do that, I read the Bitbake manual and OpenEmbedded manual. Neither was really helpful since the manuals were short and incomplete. There were also many little but time-consuming tasks, which are indirectly related to the project, that make the progress very slow. In the end I'm still not sure how OpenEmbedded facilitates cross compiling
As I was browsing through the OpenMoko directory I accidentally found the cross compiler for the target platform. I haven't test it out, so I'm not sure it works, but the location is moko_dir/build/tmp/cross/bin/arm-linux-gcc. Unfortunately I don't see GTK+ library in the library directory, I'll need to do some investigation on that.
Yesterday and today I went in another direction. Instead of trying to find out how to compile for the embedded machine, I got the software running natively on my computer using a nested X server as Dr. Chapman suggested. Speed is definitely an improvement, but appearance is not. I tried to run the GTK+ hello work program I wrote and compile early on my machine, but it didn't run because of an library not found error. If OpenMoko is really based on GTK+ isn't it suppose to run??!!
Peeking around through the files and directory shows that a lot of development library seems to be missing. It's going to be a difficult task to sort all these stuff out.
In the past week I been busy figuring out cross compiling programs, on my computer, to run on the target machine (Neo1973). To do that, I read the Bitbake manual and OpenEmbedded manual. Neither was really helpful since the manuals were short and incomplete. There were also many little but time-consuming tasks, which are indirectly related to the project, that make the progress very slow. In the end I'm still not sure how OpenEmbedded facilitates cross compiling
As I was browsing through the OpenMoko directory I accidentally found the cross compiler for the target platform. I haven't test it out, so I'm not sure it works, but the location is moko_dir/build/tmp/cross/bin/arm-linux-gcc. Unfortunately I don't see GTK+ library in the library directory, I'll need to do some investigation on that.
Yesterday and today I went in another direction. Instead of trying to find out how to compile for the embedded machine, I got the software running natively on my computer using a nested X server as Dr. Chapman suggested. Speed is definitely an improvement, but appearance is not. I tried to run the GTK+ hello work program I wrote and compile early on my machine, but it didn't run because of an library not found error. If OpenMoko is really based on GTK+ isn't it suppose to run??!!
Peeking around through the files and directory shows that a lot of development library seems to be missing. It's going to be a difficult task to sort all these stuff out.
Labels: research

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home